In the old era Foinikounda was called TAVERVS or PARALIA LACHANADAS (Lachanada Beach). Today is a large village on the beach, with significant tourist development South of Lachanadas, which is the seaport (= port). It is built along with its neighbouring village of Loutsa base in the western corner of a mental equilateral triangle, turned to the South, forming the Cape Akritas (also known as Capo – Galo or Cavogalo).
In the ancient years, was part of the Kingdom of Nestor, of ancient Pylos. Several researchers support the idea that was founded by the Phoenicians who colonized the coasts of Peloponnese at this point, although not everyone agrees with this assessment. During the newer past was a small fishing village founded in the mid-19th century and according to local tradition, the Decade of 1840, from residents of nearby Lachanadas, who were refugees from Crete. Originally was called “Tavern” (1879-1928) because of the tavern, which existed there. In 1928 it was renamed temporarily to “Lachanadas” (1928-1930), while the 1930 received its current designation as the “Finikous”. In the recent last decades has grown into one of the most important tourist resorts of Messinia, taking mainly the fact that it is surrounded by large sandy beaches.